Sunday, March 24, 2013

The Princess and the Dragon

It's Natalie here, I want to tell you all about my most favourite JBS punch and maybe share a little technique too ;-)


I've put this punch to good use here on this layout. Can you spot it? Here's a close up...


You guessed it... It's the JBS Classic Bird Shape! But I've used it in a slightly different way to what you might imagine. Instead of punching out the birds to use as embellishments (although that's a perfectly reasonable method too!) I've punched out a row of the birds into a strip of cardstock and then I've used this as a home-made stencil.



I laid the stencil where I wanted it and then spread a think layer of Liquitex Modelling Paste over the top. While it was still wet I sprinkled it with some glitter knowing that the modelling paste would also act like glue. When I lifted the stencil off I was left with this lovely textural strip of sparkling birds.


Sticking with the bird theme I chose the "Letter From Bird-Land" paper from the Wren collection as my background. My layout tells the story (or fairytale really) of a Princess Birthday Party my 2 young girls went to recently. Little did they know their father was going to become the 'villian' of the party by dressing up as a Dragon and blowing fire at them as they passed by! Ahhhemmmmm..... yes you're right - those are fairy wings on his back.... but it was the closest we had to a dragon costume ;-)


Since I've started working some 8.5 x 11" layouts into my repetoir I've decided to turn all those off-cuts into a card.  The card and paper was already cut to the right size, I just simply folded it in half. And because I had all my supplies out I didn't even need to make any new design decisions!


What an easy-peasy way to add some cards into my dwindling stash! I even ended up using those punched out Classic Bird Shapes from creating my stencil. Nothing goes to waste in my house ;-)

Hope you enjoy what's left of your weekend. 
xxx

Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this layout!! Thank you for sharing it. I had no idea that punch could look so fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so inspiring...just gorgeous, and so clever!

    ReplyDelete